Treatment for Keratoconus
In early stage keratoconus, distortion of vision can be treated using glasses to correct minor myopia (nearsightedness) and astigmatism caused by the condition. As keratoconus advances, gas permeable (GP) contact lenses are the first choice to correct vision. Most of the time, this is a permanent remedy.
The Rose K lens has a number of features that make it ideal for keratoconus and is internationally recognised as the leading lens for the treatment of keratoconus.
- The lenses are designed using complex computer models and manufactured on special computerized lathes.
- The complex geometry of Rose K lenses takes into account the conical shape of the cornea in all stages of the condition.
- Lenses can be customised to suit each eye and can correct the myopia and astigmatism associated with the condition.
- Rose K lenses allow the cornea to 'breathe' oxygen directly through the lens material providing excellent health to the eye.
- The lenses are easy to insert, remove and clean.
As a result the entire lens fits better over the eye leading to better comfort and optimum visual acuity (sharpness) for patients. However due to the progressive nature of the condition, it is important that lenses are fitted with great care and reassessed at least annually by your eye care practitioner.